However creating recipes that everyone can enjoy sometimes comes at a cost – and with these peppermint patties it came at the ‘price’ of using refined sugar. We all know by now that refined sugar is not the healthiest food, we should limit it and strive to get sugars from natural and unrefined sources. But in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with indulgence here at there as long another life is not jeopardized as a result.
There are lots of recipes out there that use nuts or soy as the base of these patties so if you can’t get over the idea of refined sugar – feel free to head over to google. And of course, I would love to hear from you if you know of a recipe that is plant based, natural (no artificial sweeteners please) free of all top allergens AND refined sugar free!
- I highly recommend using a food grade peppermint essential oil here. I have made these with peppermint extract and the cooling sensation just isn’t the same.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women may want to use peppermint extract as peppermint essential oil is not recommended pre/postpartum
For the Peppermint Filling
- 2 cups Woodstock Foods organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 drops doTerra peppermint essential oil
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
For the Chocolate Coating
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Foods chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place all Peppermint Filling ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine using a
hand mixer until a thick, slightly sticky 'dough' is formed.
Form the dough into 1 inch balls or patties and lightly roll in powdered sugar
before placing on the lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Dough should
make roughly 18-20 small patties.
Next, slowly melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heat safe bowl over a
small pot of boiling water. Stirring until smooth.
Remove the patties from the freezer and dip one by one into the melted
chocolate, allowing excess to drip off before returning to the lined baking sheet.