This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ACME Markets. All opinions are 100% my own.
Thumbprint cookies tend to be synonymous with the holiday season. However, ever since I was little, I always got a spooky vibe from them. The drizzle reminded me of cobwebs or a mummy. Thus, I thought I would share these Vegan Thumbprint Cookies just in time for Halloween. Plus, these sweet, buttery treats are so simple and delicious I think they should be enjoyed all year around!
This recipe is a classic, vegan version of the traditional thumbprint cookie. It’s perfectly sweetened with O Organics® Maple Syrup and topped with O Organics Superfruit Spread. The Vegan Thumbprint Cookies are then drizzled with a sweet glaze made with O Organics Unsweetened Coconut Milk and organic powdered sugar.
I turn to ACME Markets for baking needs because, whether you’re shopping for plant-based, gluten-free or dairy-free items, they have all the essentials for mindful consumers all at an incredible value compared to leading national brands. ACME’s exclusive Open Nature® and O Organics products are my go-to’s because they are organic, non-GMO and made with minimally processed ingredients. I’m so impressed with their rigorous standards and dedication using only the highest quality ingredients.
Frequent visitors of this blog know I encourage having fun with your food. While baking lends itself to being more structured, this recipe still has some wiggle room to make it your own.
- Almond flour is another common ingredient in thumbprint cookies. Feel free to sub almond flour 1:1 for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour.
- If you enjoy almond flavor, add in 1/2 tsp along with the vanilla or you can omit the vanilla all together.
- The O Organics Superfruit Spread is one of my favorites because it combines antioxidant-rich, organic cherries, grapes, blueberries and cranberries. I love that it’s not overly sweet too. Of course, feel free to use any of ACME’s other delicious jams and spreads for the filling if you’d like.
- Have fun with the drizzle! Cover with as little or as much as you like in any pattern you want. Or use none at all.
- Don’t scoop flour with a measuring cup. Instead, spoon it into the measuring cup and level with a butter knife.
- Make sure the butter is slightly softened and cut into pieces before adding to the mixer. This will prevent over-mixing and allow the dough to form faster
- To prevent cracking in the cookies, make indentation in the middle immediately after rolling, instead of rolling each ball out first.
- If jam is stiff, give it a stir so it’s easier to fill and spread inside cookies. Be sure not to over fill.
- Make sure your glaze is very thick otherwise it will be too runny and not hold it’s shape.
I buy my O Organics and Open Nature products at my local ACME Markets store, and you can also find them exclusively at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs/Safeway. Visit acmemarkets.com to find a store near you and discover meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
ACME also offers Grocery Delivery and Pick Up for convenient ways to shop!
Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup O Organics maple syrup or organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan stick butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and/or almond extract
- 1/2 cup O Organics Superfruit Spread or jam of choice
- 1 tbsp O Organics Unsweetened Coconut Milk or other plant milk
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl whisk together all-purpose flour and salt, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend together softened vegan stick butter, O Organics maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond extract (if using). Beat for about 30 seconds until combined and creamy.
Lower speed and gradually pour in the flour mix until a dough forms, scraping down the sides as necessary. Do not over mix.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls (about 1/2 tablespoon of dough). Place onto a baking sheet and using your thumb or knuckle, make a small indentation halfway into the center to create a well for the O Organics Superfruit Spread.
Spoon about 1/2 tsp O Organics Superfruit Spread into the center of each cookie.
Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Glaze: Prepare the glaze in a small bowl by whisking together 1 cup of organic powdered sugar and 1 tbsp of O Organics Coconut Milk. It should be very thick. Transfer to a piping bag and drizzle onto the cooled cookies. Let the glaze set at room temperature then store cookies in an airtight container
Add 1/2 tsp almond extract if you enjoy an almond flavor.
Use organic sugar to ensure vegan-friendliness.
Recipe Adapted from All Recipes