I have shared a few vegan mac and cheese recipes on my instagram over the years. However, none of them have made it to my website because, while still yummy, they just weren’t all the way there yet – not fully blog worthy.
Alas, the time has come for the creamiest vegan mac!
This recipe uses a base of coconut milk, raw cashews and squash. I actually set out to make a fall-inspired pumpkin mac & cheese but found that the squash is just about undetectable and the pumpkin spice beautifully mellows out the yeastiness of nutritional yeast which lends an incredible, essential, cheesiness. I highly recommend the Frontier Co-op Pumpkin Pie blend for this recipe. See notes.
After making this many times I actually think I may prefer butternut squash over pumpkin, but regardless of the squash you choose I think you will love this recipe!
Creamy Vegan Mac
- 1 lb elbow macaroni any variety - regular, GF, legume based etc.
- 1 cup butternut squash or pumpkin cooked and puréed or canned
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk any variety works
- 1 cup raw cashews preferably soaked
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper to taste
- Fresh Sage chopped
- Toasted panko or breadcrumbs GF or regular
Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
In a high speed blender combine the rest of the ingredients and blend on high until creamy.
In a large pot, stir together macaroni and pumpkin sauce. If needed, warm over low heat.
Serve hot with toasted panko and fresh chopped sage sprinkled on top.
*The pumpkin pie spice I use for this recipe does not have all spice in it. It is from Frontier Co-op and uses a blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.