I cannot get enough of these Savory Skillet Pancakes! They are a crazy easy, one-bowl, one-pan, protein-packed dish. This recipe is loaded with cruciferous vegetables, starchy vegetables, non-starchy vegetables, spices, plus anti-inflammatory rhizomes like ginger and turmeric. These Savory Skillet Pancakes also sneak in some beans and whole grains through the flour blend. Talk about nutrient dense!
I like to dress my Savory Skillet Pancakes with garnishes similar to those used on Okonomiyaki – a traditional Japanese-style omelet/pancake made with cabbage and eggs. However, these Savory Skillet Pancakes are completely vegan and gluten-free as well.
I’ve recently discovered a new ingredient to make the Savory Skillet Pancakes even more flavorful and nutritious: Smart Seasoning! Since being introduced to Smart Seasoning, I’ve been adding it to just about everything I cook. Smart Seasoning is a superfood condiment that ingeniously combines high quality salt with good-for-you ingredients: turmeric, seaweed, nutritional yeast and black pepper.
Instead of a sprinkle of sea salt, I’ll add a generous pinch of Smart Seasoning. It not only enhances flavors, but adds a nutritious boost of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fiber, protein and antioxidants to anything. I’ve been tossing it in soups, dressings, scrambles, breads, batters, toast, even smoothies. Less sodium, more flavor, major nutrition!
As a certified plant based nutritionist and wellness coach, I am an unwavering advocate for consuming a whole food plant based diet to optimize health and vitality. While we can easily rely on plants for nearly all of our nutrition needs, there are a few nutrients I encourage everyone to be mindful of, regardless of diet. Three of these nutrients are B12, iodine and curcumin – all of which Smart Seasoning provides.
Smart Seasoning is a simple and delicious way to add a range of essential, health promoting and immune-boosting nutrients into your diet. The Yellow blend that I’m hooked on contains just five ingredients:
- Turmeric: Turmeric adds beautiful, warm flavor while also supporting a healthy immune response and reducing inflammation. Curcumin, the active compound found in turmeric, is also a potent antioxidant linked to a wealth of protective and healing health benefits.
- Sea Salt: Regular table salt is highly processed and stripped of nearly all its benefits. While iodine is often added back in, many commercial table salts also add anti-caking agents, fluoride, MSG, and bleaching compounds. Smart Seasoning uses a super crunchy, flakey, natural sea salt to add just the right amount of flavor enhancement. Plus, trace minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast adds a delicious, rich, umami flavor while also packing a powerful nutritional punch. It contains all 9 essential amino acids and is a great source of protein. This vegan fan favorite is also a good source of B vitamins, including B12. Nutritional yeast contains antioxidants and minerals such as zinc, selenium, manganese as well.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper is the team plater in the blend. It not only adds flavor but also contains piperine which aids in the body’s absorption of the curcumin, the active substance in turmeric, that can otherwise be hard for the body to assimilate.
- Dulse Seaweed Flakes: Dulse is a flavorful seaweed known for its dense nutrient profile. It is rich source of iodine which is especially important for anyone eating an unprocessed whole food diet. Iodine is an essential nutrient, meaning our bodies don’t produce it so we must consume it through food. Dulse Seaweed Flakes also contain calcium, iron, lutein, magnesium, niacin, phosphorous, potassium, riboflavin, selenium, vitamin C and zinc.
In addition to being a nutrient powerhouse, Smart Seasoning is sustainably packaged in glass because its creator, James Beard nominated Chef Lucas Manteca, is passionate about environmental stewardship. He’s also passionate about empowering the local community and fostering a culture of healthy eating near and far. Plus, supporting Smart Seasoning helps to grow year-round employment opportunities in a largely summer seasonal shore town.
Chef Lucas has just started a Kickstarter campaign to launch a new Black blend of Smart Seasoning and get it into your kitchen! He has an incredible goal to raise $15,000 in 30 days. Pledge if you can and enjoy some pretty sweet rewards:
- Enjoy a jar of Smart Seasoning’s new Black blend before anyone else.
- Private Dinner Party for 10 at The Red Store in Cape May, NJ.
- Cape May Couples Foodie Retreat at the Stay Lokal and private dinner.
Head to the Smart Seasoning Kickstarter page to learn more and check out the rest of their awesome rewards. Every dollar counts because Kickstarter is all or nothing funding. If Smart Seasoning doesn’t meet their goal, they receive $0. Thank you so much for your generosity! This campaign supports the health and wellbeing of our local and global community.
Savory Skillet Pancakes
- ¼ head green cabbage shredded (~2 cups)
- 1 large carrot shredded (~1 cup)
- 1 large yellow potato shredded (~1 cup)
- 1 bunch green onions divided
- 1 thumb ginger grated (~1 tbsp)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- avocado oil
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp Smart Seasoning
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp tamari, soy sauce, liquid aminos
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- green onions chopped
- tuxedo sesame seeds
Prepare the carrot, cabbage and potato using a box grater and/or a mandoline.
Prepare the green onions by discarding the root end and chopping the white and light green parts. This will be used in the batter. Chop the dark green parts and set aside for use as a garnish later.
Put the shredded potato into a tea towel or nut milk bag, squeeze the excess water out.
Prepare the sauce by mixing all ingredients a small bowl. Then pour into a condiment squeeze bottle.
In a large bowl, whisk together the garbanzo bean flour, brown rice flour and Smart Seasoning. Once well combined, stir in the water and whisk well. The batter will be very thick.
Next, add in the shredded cabbage, carrots, potato, white and light green parts of the green onion, grated ginger and minced garlic into the bowl. Fold the vegetables into the batter.
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add 1/4th of the batter. Spread evenly into a ½ inch thick pancake. Cook until the bottom is browned, 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for another few minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
To serve, spread or drizzle with vegenaise, sauce and sriracha. Sprinkle with tuxedo sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
Don’t have a tea towel or nut milk bag? You can carefully use paper towels or just squeeze the shredded potato right in your hands over the sink.
I like to divide the batter into fourths and then loosely roll each fourth into a ball. They will be roughly the size of a baseball. Before cooking, reshape and then flatten before adding to the pan.