This Smoky Maple Jackfruit is the bomb! Enjoy it in a rice bowl as shared in the recipe, in tacos, piled high on a roll or sandwich or right out of the pan – which is what I may or may not have done the first time I made this recipe.
The pulled jackfruit cooks down and gets super tender as the flavor from the spices and maple syrup cook in. Finish it off with a touch of liquid smoke to give it that slow cooked taste, even though this will take you under 30 minutes to make!
Smoky Maple Jackfruit
- 2 20 oz cans jackfruit, in brine drained and rinsed well
- 1 tsp avocado oil or vegetable broth if oil-free
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne to taste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vegetarian bullion + 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke*
For Smoky Maple Jackfruit Bowls:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha more or less to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime juice optional
- pinch of black pepper optional
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 cups red cabbage thinly shaved
- 2 avocados cubed
- green onion
If making bowls, prepare rice of choice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, prepare shredded cabbage, avocado and any other toppings you like. In a small bowl, whisk together the spicy mayo ingredients.
To make the Smoky Jackfruit, in another small bowl, stir together the dry spices. Once combined, whisk in maple syrup, vegetarian better than bullion and warm water.
Prepare the jackfruit by rinsing thoroughly, removing any seeds and cutting off the core if too hard.
Place the jackfruit on a large cutting board or in a bowl and shred with two forks - or you can use your hands!
Heat avocado oil (or veggie broth) in a pan over medium heat. Add in jackfruit and stir, allowing the jackfruit to get warm and tender. About 5 minutes. Add the spice paste and stir to thoroughly coat jackfruit. Cook another 5 minutes and then stir in the liquid smoke.
Serve over rice with shredded cabbage, avocado and a drizzle of sriracha mayo or dish up in a taco or bun with your favorite fix-ins.
* Wrights is currently my go-to liquid smoke. It's made from natural smoke, free from caramel color, artificial flavors and preservatives. Plus it's totally vegan!
Feel free to add some leafy greens, other veggies or sub the bed of rice for tortillas and make tacos!