Thank you to MegaFood for sponsoring this recipe post.
Spring has sprung but for many Americans, their energy levels haven’t gotten the memo. 43 percent of Americans admit they’re too tired to function at work, while 97 percent have at least one of the nine risk factors for fatigue. Us millennials continue to have the highest reported stress levels. Feeling tired all the time, lacking vigor and energy can be a symptom of nutrient deficiency, sleep deprivation, lack of exercise or adrenal fatigue to name a few. Vitamin B12 plays a major role in supporting optimal cellular energy* and helps keep feelings go fatigue at bay.
I believe most people should be supplementing B12 because our soils have become so depleted. Vitamin B deficiency is becoming one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the developing world. B12 isn’t made from plants or animals so regardless of diet, I highly encourage just about everyone to take it. Get your blood work done and consult with your doctor if needed.
In addition to supplementing with B12, eating a well-balanced diet abundant in unprocessed, colorful fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains may help you create lasting energy. This Tropical Vitality smoothie is an uplifting blend that provides steady energy to fuel you through your morning – or any time of day really. Here’s why:
- Pineapple and mango are loaded with fiber and Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant that promotes skin health and immune function. Both are also a good source of Vitamin B-6 which plays an important role in metabolism.
- Oranges and bananas both contain beneficial fiber and potassium. Banana also adds a delightful creaminess to this smoothie.
- Baby spinach is an excellent source of carotenoids, which the body can turn into vitamin A. It is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folic acid, iron and calcium too.
- Turmeric is well known for its antioxidant compounds which support a healthy inflammation response.*
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogen which aids the body’s response to stress. It has been shown to promote feelings of wellbeing and ward off fatigue.*
- Coconut water contains potassium and electrolytes, is super hydrating and tastes like pure paradise.
- Hemp hearts are exceptionally rich in essential fatty acids and are an excellent source of iron, zinc, and magnesium. They are also a great plant based source protein source containing all 9 essential amino acids.
From the blast of antioxidant rich vitamin C, adaptogens and natural hydration to the coconut and juicy tropical fruit, this supercharged smoothie is also a dream for the adrenals. The adrenals are the glads that sit atop our kidneys and release hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones are responsible for a variety of functions like regulating the body’s metabolism, immune system suppression, regulation of blood pressure and electrolyte balance, and the rapid response to stress (i.e. fight or flight).
We know stress can have some detrimental health impacts. Long periods of extreme stress in particular can cause more severe dysfunction and even fatigue our adrenal glands. In our high stress, fast paced society I think most of us can use all the adrenal support we can get!
In addition to mindfulness, movement and nourishing smoothies like this one, I love complimenting my whole food plant based diet with MegaFood Adrenal Strength® as needed. It nourishes adrenal glands depleted by everyday physical, mental and and emotional stress with the help of Sensoril®, a clinically-studied extract derived from ashwagandha root.* It also contains a handful of other powerful adaptogens like reishi mushroom, rhodiola, holy basil, astragalus and schisandra.
Plant foods and medicines are powerful healers but what many consumers unfortunately don’t know is we have less than 60 harvests left until there will be no more topsoil to grow food. In the spirit of spring and renewal, I felt inclined to share that MegaFood is deeply dedicated to regenerative agriculture practices which may help reverse climate change by rebuilding soil and organic matter while also restoring degraded soil diversity.
MegaFood supplements support both your body and a more sustainable future. By partnering with trusted farmers who share their commitment to organic and regenerative farming, they ensure you get the nutrients you need, while replenishing the soil with the nutrients it needs. All of their products are tested for 125+ herbicides and pesticides, gluten-
free, vegetarian or vegan, and tested free of gluten, soy and dairy. Many are also kosher and non-GMO Project verified. Plus ,they are the only supplement line certified glyphosate residue free.
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 banana ripe
- 1 orange peeled
- 1/2 cup pineapple fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup mango fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1/2 – 1 tsp ashwagandha
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup coconut water or milk more or less to desired texture
- 1 small knob ginger (optional)
Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth and creamy. Best enjoyed immediately but can be stored in the fridge for a day or two.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.